Homemade musical instrument: Tom-Tom Drum
Homemade musical instruments are a fun and effective way of helping children to develop a better understanding of sound, where it comes from and how it changes. Why not shake up your classroom by teaching students how to make their very own tom-tom drum! These easily accessible percussion instruments are a perfect educational resource for introducing children to music, beat and rhythm whilst increasing dexterity and coordination.
- Cardboard tube e.g. porridge container
- Elastic bands
- Start off with the fun part – decorating the drum. Jazz up the cardboard container by adding some coloured paper and lots of stickers.
- Cut the top of a balloon off with a scissors. Place the remaining part of the balloon over the top of the open container and secure it with an elastic band.
- Remove the bottom surface of the container and then repeat step 2 for the opposite end.
- Use two pencils as drum sticks and you’re ready to go!
Our team of qualified music tutors find that making and playing percussion instruments as a class is a great way to promote team-work and collaboration in a fun group environment. The music-making process is a highly engaging learning experience for both teachers and students, especially with the help of these teaching tools. For more helpful educational music guides, please submit your name and email address at the bottom of this page to avail of complementary lesson plans from the Mobile Music School.
Check out this tutorial for more information on how to make a tom-tom drum: